Thursday 16 August 2007

Spot 1 – Rimini


What a perfect choice to kick off our trip!

We arrived to our hostel exactly 48 hours after leaving home, at 09:20 pm. Being completely filthy after two days in the car under a burning sun, I jumped to the shower as soon as I was given my room keys. The only pleasure of not showering for such a long time is how amazingly a long shower then feels. Finally clean and wearing a new change of cloth, it only took me to have a light meal at the hostels esplanade to get me started. I’ve immediately met a cool bunch of Spanish guys from Madrid on a bachelors trip around Europe. Soon, we met Helene, Julian (both French) and Andrea (Italian) and in no time we were a big international crowd having the most interesting conversation, while having a huge time in the process. Of course, the night ended with me, Julien, Andrea, Helene and “El sin patillas e sus muchachos (lol guys, couldn’t resist it) heading to the seaside disco clubs, for a nice night out. Not before the already reported photo session with the whole gang fitting inside the Deuch! By the way Dad, that “Bagaço” of yours has already made some victims, me included.

The next morning we were literally “shouted out” of the bed around 11, with everyone still only trying to remain alive. Painful… But after a nice shower and a good pasta, I was again able to keep amazing myself with Rimini. What a spectacular atmosphere this city has. Together with Andrea, Helene and Julien, I spent the whole afternoon at the beach, the first ever in the Mediterranean coast to overwhelm me. Long sandy beach, impossible to get over crowded and very, very well organised and equipped. Beachvolley, tennis and futvolley nets all over, showers, changing rooms, sparkling toilettes, you name it. Whatever you may need to amuse yourself by the sea, it can be found. Only, though obvious downside is that you have to pay to get in (cost us 5 euros each for a umbrella and nice bed close to the water). But wait, it actually gets better: by 6.30 pm, the nearby bars invite you on a free all you can eat buffet of light pastas and risottos, as long as you buy something to drink. Free food, a concept any Portuguese can never believe in till actually seeing it with his/her own eyes. So, after the stressing beach session (should we play volley or football? Swim or lay in the water? Toast my back or my face?...too many decisions, I need holidays…lol), we walked along the pier to a perfectly located bar and seated down for a beer and some nice Italian food. Of course we ended up paying €5 for a pint, but here goes a scientific fact: no southern inhabitant complains with anything while being feed for free, specially on a “all you can eat” basis!

The highlight of the day was though yet to come: giving the two French their first ride ever on a Deuch. I had to actually see their passports to believe they were really French. I could hardly remember a funnier ride to the supermarket: top (and almost always at least one head as well) off, Carla Bruni and Bob Sinclair on the radio to make it a true French experience and leaving no one that crossed with us indifferent. While on the first times mood, Julien took the weal and I was finally given the opportunity to ride my Deuch seated on the top of my back seat, with my head to the light night breeze. Even the Carabinieri greeted us!

The day ended at Baia Imperiale night club, watching Boy George (former pop start, now a DJ) at what is considered to be one of the top 10 most beautiful night clubs in the world. Quite impressive, I must say, but not as impressive. Massive, with an awesome location on a hill by the bay, it somehow disappoints you by having all the dance floors indoors… A real pity. Not wanting to sound too Portuguese, Casa do Castelo, in the Algarve, is still the most beautiful night spot I’ve ever been to.

To sum it up in short, a place not to be missed. Lives up to the huge expectations one always brigs to a place with such a strong name and aura and still finds a away to surprise you by giving a whole new meaning to the "dolce fare niente" way of life. In Italy, I always feel myself one step closer to reality. In Rimini, I felt at least two.

1 comment: